Summer is here! And sun exposure is inevitable. How can you protect your skin and keep it glowing all summer long?
Vitamin C is a safe, simple, inexpensive, and effective way to help protect against the harmful effects of UVA and UVB rays. It’s not a sunscreen per se, but when applied topically it gets absorbed into the skin and protects you from within. Benefits of Vitamin C include:
- stimulates production of collagen ie: less wrinkles
- reverses photoaging; the damage done by years of sun exposure
- protects against skin cancer by quenching the free radicals produced by UV radiation
- thickens the dermis
- improves acne scars (one of the only things you can do for scarring during the summer months)
- gives your skin a healthier look
Always start with a Vitamin C serum that has a low 5-10% concentration. Allow your skin to adjust to the serum over a couple months. After a few months you can increase to a higher concentration (10-20%). Remember that it’s important to apply your vitamin C serum before your sunscreen or moisturizer so that it is absorbed first for your skin’s protection.
Dr. Nicole Clement
The IV’s line of skin care products from Elizabeth Arden Professional all contain Vitamin C to help protect and nourish all skin types. For more information about your skin book a free 15-minute consultation with Dr. Nicole Clement by calling 604-974-8999