Healthy Over the Holidays

Healthy Over the Holidays

Healthy Over the Holidays

 

The holiday season will soon be here.  It is time for friends, family, parties and gatherings to fill-up our schedule for merriment sake.  Late nights, yummy cocktails and an abundance of good food and sweets are always on the menu.  What could possibly go wrong, other than a time-strapped schedule, stress, indigestion, low energy, hangover or the dreaded cold and flu?

The best remedy to keep your holidays healthy is prevention!   Ask yourself: do I have a plan to maintain my health with diet, exercise, stress reduction techniques and other healing strategies?  And second: do I have a plan to heal myself when I first begin to feel sick?

The basics of prevention start with your diet.  The easiest way to comply with good health and energy without deprivation is to follow the 80-20 rule.  This means eating healthy whole foods 80% of the time and antinutrient, ie/ caffeine, sugar, alcohol, processed meats, the remaining 20% of the time.

Have a plan to maintain your exercise routine.  Just 20-30 minutes of gentle exercise, everyday, will allow you to regain your energy and curb the extra holiday pounds that are so easy to put on.  Follow this up by drinking plenty of water, at least half your body weight in ounces will do.  To prevent interference of digestion, drink the majority of your water between meals.

Nutritional supplements for maximum immunity:

Vitamin A:  25,000 I.U.

Vitamin C:  2,000-3,000 mg

Vitamin E:  400-800 mg

Magnesium:  500 mg

Multivitamin:  follow the recommended dose

Supplements when sick:

Zinc: 30 mg for prevention, 60 mg when fighting cold or flu

Echinacea: immune-boosting with anti-viral, anti-microbial, and anti-fungal properties.

Goldenseal: A natural antibiotic and immune booster.

If you have the stomach flu, take as much ginger tea throughout the day as you can.

Next, a healing environment is often overlooked, but crucial to combating stress and rejuvenating the soul.  What is your healing space consist of? Quiet time, meditation, walk in the forest or on the beach, reading a book.  When you need an extra boost receiving a massage or acupuncture treatment?.  Whatever it is to you, remember to take time out for yourself.

Have a happy, healthy holiday!

Sarah McGuire, R.Ac