1 in 5 Canadians suffer from seasonal allergies but up to 75% of those can be prevented. The key is starting the fight before the season hits!
Here are 5 Tips to Fight your Allergies before they get you!
1. Desensitization: getting ahead of your allergies is key to prevention. Historically desensitization meant weekly visits to your doctor for treatment over the course of 6 months – 2 years! Not only is this inconvenient but for most of us this is just not possible. But now you can safely and effectively desensitize from home. The process is simple: your doctor will test you for your allergy triggers (pollen, tree, grass etc.) and then prescribe you the appropriate immunotherapy in either an injection or sublingual form that is taken once daily.
Read more on desensitization: http://quantumallergycanada.com/a-patients-guide-to-slit-sublingual-immunotherapy/
2. Food: the good, the bad and the ugly food can both help and hinder allergy prevention. Foods that increase inflammation, mucous production and weaken the immune system include sugar (sorry), dairy, and simple carbs like bread and pasta. Instead, incorporate more immune boosting foods into your diet like garlic, dark leafy greens and berries.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: an age old remedy for immune support ACV helps fight allergies by stimulating our lymphatic system, alleviating mucous production and reducing inflammation. Add 2 tsp to warm water twice a day, morning and evening.
4. Raw Local Honey: raw honey contains bee pollen, which is one of nature’s best immune booster. Local honey contains the pollens that you find in your own back yard providing natural immunity for the very pollens that are responsible for your allergies. Add 1-2 tbsp to warm water twice a day.
5. Lemons: these little gems are great for a variety of reasons. Loaded with Vitamin C and immune boosting antioxidants lemons are a great immune support. Vitamin C also acts as a natural antihistamine! Add a freshly squeezed lemon to your 1 liter water bottle and drink throughout the day.