Is the sound of the phone ringing making you cringe? One more project and you’re going to snap?
Statistics Canada has found that 1 in 4 workers (3.7 million) describe themselves as highly stressed and another 6.3 million state that they are slightly stressed through a regular work day. The reasons for stress can range from the job itself to financial anxiety to family and more.
When we are stressed, the body goes in to the “fight-or-flight” mode and secretes cortisol (the stress hormone) which, just to name a few, can cause:
- Blood sugar imbalance
- Decreased bone density and muscle tissue
- Increased abdominal fat
- Impaired immunity
- Impaired thyroid function
- Impaired cognitive function
Prolonged stress can present with:
- Insomnia and fatigue
- Poor judgement
- Moodiness and negativity
- Muscle tension
- Digestive issues
- Frequent colds
Massage therapy treatments are shown to:
- Decrease blood cortisol levels
- Increase serotonin and dopamine (happy hormones) release
- Decrease sympathetic nervous system (fight-or-flight response) firing
- Promote relaxation by enhancing the parasympathetic nervous system
- Support the immune system by elevating cytotoxic capacity
- Release muscle tension and enhance musculoskeletal health
Use massage therapy to help manage the stress in your life and get back to your full capacity!