Do you want to boost your energy levels naturally and avoid the negative effects of stress at the same time?
My favorite type of herbal supplement is what is called an “adaptogen”. An adaptogen is known to boost your body’s resilience via adapting to stress.
This type of herb has been used for centuries to boost energy along with our capacity to thrive in the face of stress. Adaptogens regulate your body by sensing when to either calm you down or boost you up. Adaptogens are known to:
- Enhance endurance
- Improve adrenal function
- Counteract stress
- Eliminate toxins
- Normalize imbalances
- Increase aerobic activity of cells
Naturopath Edward Wallace explains, “An adaptogen doesn’t have a specific action. It helps you to respond to any influence or stressor, and normalize your physiological function.”
What are some of the most useful adaptogens?
- Ashwaganda: boosts immunity and decreases anxiety
- Astragalus: repairs stess-related damage aka: anti-aging, boosts immunity
- Aloe Vera: boosts immune and adrenal health, reduces constipation
- Bacopa: improves memory, focus and thinking
- Cordyceps and the Chaga mushoom: anti-tumor and immune enhancing
- Ginseng: mental performance, anti-depressant, lowers blood pressure and blood sugar levels
- Maca: strengthens libido and sexual function
- Rhodiola: decreases anxiety, boosts memory, restores sleep patterns
When is it time to take action and what should you be on the look out for? Here are some of the initial signs of stress:
- Poor, interrupted or lack of sleep
- Poor digestion and or irregular bowel movement
- Hormone imbalance ie? Weight gain or difficult to loose weight, decrease skin resilience and/or acne, infertility and/or low sex drive
- Consistent levels of high stress and/or poor mood
Herbal supplementation is natural and powerful, therefore, it is always important to consult with your medical practitioner first to determine the most effective treatment plan for you.
Sarah McGuire is a Registered Acupuncturist, yogi and natural health enthusiast. To book, call The IV Wellness Boutique at 604-974-8999.